Friday, February 7, 2014

the junk drawer

The Junk Drawer
My husband kept asking when I was going to post again on my blog. I sighed (he hates it when I sigh) and said  "I don't know." After wanting to start a blog for some time, nothing was flowing. Scratch that. A little was flowing from my heart to the keyboard, I was just scared silly. So I asked God when was I going to post again? My next immediate thought was the junk drawer. The junk drawer? I thought... where did that come from? Okay. Yeah the junk drawer hasn't been cleaned out in a while, I'll get to it sometime another. Then I completely forgot about blogging altogether.


Until I was writing in my prayer journal one morning. My last line was "Thank you for loving me through my mess." And then, as if a drum roll went off in my head, dum, dum, dum... - the junk drawer.



I took a peek in my junk drawer - I tip-toed, of course (no need to wake up those rascals yet). I saw things out of place, things that need to be dealt with, unused items, and oh the surprise - a few neat nearly untouched items. Then I thought about the mess of my heart that my Sweet Savior loves.

The things out of place - worldly desires - pottery barn styled homes, magazine worthy skin and hair, etc. etc... You know the stuff we think we want, we need.
God says - "Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world you do not have the love of the Father in you....And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave."1 John 2:15- 17

Then I thought of the things that need to be dealt with - past hurt, feelings of inadequacy, fears. God says - "...Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." Hebrews 12:1

Next came the unused things - the gifts God has given me that I haven't dared to unwrap or experience. God says - "For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." Philippians 2:13

Finally, the neat, nearly untouched items - my pride and the desire for everything to look just peachy on the outside. Even when things are far from it. God says - "So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world." James 4: 7-8

I'm slowly working on my junk drawer heart. Honestly, I have been for a while. I'll keep working and thanking God for loving me through my mess. Maybe you will too? Much love. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment