Thursday, March 27, 2014

breaking out of the mama funk...


This week has been full of blessings, that I am sure of, however two days this week I have found myself in a little bit of a "funk." The kids.are.driving.me.crazy kind of funk! The first day I didn't think much of it, just survived. But the second day I started thinking about the things that have helped me turn a kids.are.driving.me.crazy & I might combust! kind of day into a kids.were.driving.me.crazy kind of day. These are the things that help me...maybe they'll help you too, or just remind you of what does help you, so you'll be ready. 'Cause honey...Mama said there'll be days like this!

1) Praise and Pray...I try to make this my starting place. Sadly it's not always. But you'll often find me praying "Dear Lord these children are driving me crazy, please help me to see them as you see them." That is a prayer I turn to a lot. I want to see my boys as my Savior sees them. In fact I want to see all God's children how he sees them, young and old. So I often pray this prayer about others too (not the driving me crazy part, ok, yeah sometimes I do pray that :)).

2) Turn on Worship Music...I love the Pandora app on my phone. It's so awesome how God can orchestrate the right song playing at the right time to lift my spirit or to speak truth to me that I need to hear.

3) Read the boys a book...I once heard that if you want to change your mood do something for others. It kind of stuck and turns out to be true for me. My boys love to be read to and I have always loved reading to children. Even when I was a classroom teacher it was one of my favorites. Now sometimes my boys may be in a grumpy mood as well, and tell me they don't want to read a book, but I tell them right back...too bad because that's what we're doing. This works for us. We find ourselves snuggled up on the couch captivated by the pictures and stories. Now it may take more than one book and the fussing may return, but we always have a few moments of peace and it usually makes for a peaceful time afterwards. Books are medicine friends! Pick one up!

4) Read my Sweet Savior pins on Pinterest. I love Pinterest. I pin these beautifully designed Bible Verses because they speak truth to me in that moment and in other moments that I need them.

5.) Paint with my boys...now before you think I've come off my rocker, just understand that even though it makes a mess it lifts all of our moods. I am no artist, but painting relaxes me. I think it relaxes my boys too. They are always up for painting. Playdough works well too!

In making this list I also thought about how making a phone call to complain to my Mama/husband/friend sometimes have come into play. I know that sometimes we do need to "get it out" and I think it's fine to talk with someone about what we are dealing with. However, for me, I have really been challenged lately to speak only positives about others - starting with my husband and children. So if "getting it out" means talking negatively about others, I need to refrain.

I did all of these on my second bad day this week. God showed up, y'all. I turned on my worship music and really forgot all together it was still on. After making lunch for the boys, I was cleaning up the kitchen while they ate. The song "Redeemed" came on by Big Daddy Weave. I know my boys have probably heard this song before, but I had no idea they may know the words so clearly. Out of the blue my wild, crazy and rough little four year old started singing "I am redeemed. You set me free. So I'll shake off these heavy chains, wipe away every stain, cause I'm not who I used to be. I am redeemed." In that moment I melted, God humbled me, and I praised him.

Oh sweet boy I pray deep in my heart that someday you will know what it feels like to truly be Redeemed. With tears in my eyes I pray that you both know, that you know, that you know, you are Redeemed and have a home in Heaven. I pray you and your brother have a real relationship with God, have awesome faith and boldness for your King. I love you boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment